2022 Streetfighter V4 SP On Its Way...

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
And something even cooler got here as referenced above...5-10" of snow tomorrow through Wednesday, so I won't be able to do paperwork until Thursday or Friday but it is finally here and parked behind the Sales Manager's desk.

View attachment 11339
First, I wish I knew AEM can accommodate custom laser marking so I can order my DSEI sprocket hub with custom marking, šŸ„“
Second, Wow Panigale V4 SPV2 šŸ„³ CONGRATULATIONS and can't wait to follow your MODIFIED journey ;):cool:(y)

First, I wish I knew AEM can accommodate custom laser marking so I can order my DSEI sprocket hub with custom marking, šŸ„“
Second, Wow Panigale V4 SPV2 šŸ„³ CONGRATULATIONS and can't wait to follow your MODIFIED journey ;):cool:(y)
It took some back and forth through AEM and Bellissimoto to get things taken care of but it worked out in the end. Once we had discussed what I wanted it was just a matter of providing the graphic in the appropriate format for them to use.

Speaking of SP2, I think the custom engraving on the sprocket hub for it is actually going to be curved to match the 'profile' of it, similar to how the do the other engravings. I've already got some parts and pieces lined-up for this one too and a couple parts coming off my V4 R that I'm changing out for other, more 'racy' items.

I was hoping to get some advice from the people who may have installed push button switches or who dabble in all things electronics...

As you can see above, I bought the CNC Racing handlebar switches for the Streetfighter and, being as OCD as I am, I want to change the caps on the push buttons to the colors I want for each 'feature'. I did this on the switches I got for the V4 R and assumed the Streetfighter switches would be the same and I did purchase extra button caps from CNC Racing a while ago.

Well, seems the new push buttons they are now using also use a different button cap and the CNC Racing caps that I have don't work on the new push buttons. CNC Racing has said you can't change the button caps but that doesn't seem to be the case as I've already swapped a few caps around and they seem to work fine. CNC Racing also would not tell me where they are sourcing their push buttons from when I asked, so now I am on a mad search for the new style button caps. I've scoured datasheets for any number of push buttons from different sources and no one seems to show what the 'mount' inside the button cap looks like because, well, no one likely cares much about that except for some OCD Ducati guy, I've 'Googled' all manner of push button caps, I've ordered three different push buttons from various sources to try. My final attempt, outside of someone on here providing some good info or having a much better connection at CNC Racing than I obviously do, is I'm going to reach out to Mouser Electronics to see what options they have for push buttons, and I have gotten buttons from them before that worked with the 'old' CNC push buttons but not the new ones as they stand too 'proud' of the switch when I put them on.

Here are the differing button caps and you can see the 'mounting' method for each and, from left to right, the 'new style' CNC button caps and you can see the funky 'square mount', the 'old style' CNC button caps, replacement button caps that I got from Mouser Electronics that work on the 'old' push button switches and finally a generic button cap from a push button switch off eBay/Amazon.

CNC Racing Button Caps 1.jpg

CNC Racing Button Caps 2.jpg

Way harder than I thought it would be for simple button caps... :mad:

On a better note, it's officially mine as of Saturday.

2023 Ducati Panigale V4 SP2 on Display at Fay Myers (Front 1).jpg

bp_SFV4

If CNC is using the same stuff as Jetprime, they are OTTO switches.

Attached is what the backs of the different color caps I just got with my Jetprime switches.

If you really want to get into the weeds, you can buy all of Jetprime's stuff as spare parts and make whatever you want. I don't know if there's resistors in play as its a CANBus system, but the parts are there.

Attachments

If CNC is using the same stuff as Jetprime, they are OTTO switches.

Attached is what the backs of the different color caps I just got with my Jetprime switches.
I appreciate the feedback and the 'old' style push buttons were OTTO as that is what my replacement caps came from, the third cap from the left that match yours are off an OTTO P9 switch, but the new ones are different in the way they mount and the finish. The 'old' style caps had a smooth, glossy finish and the new caps have a 'texture' and no gloss to them at all.

I tried one of the OTTO caps on the new switch and, once mounted, sticks up to far and there is a gap around the edge of the button.

I've got an e-mail out to Mouser to see if they have any idea what it might be and OTTO does offer a P6-series of switches, so I may end up ordering one or two of those also.

I also sent another e-mail to CNC Racing but I have a feeling that one is going to get ignored.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I appreciate the feedback and the 'old' style push buttons were OTTO as that is what my replacement caps came from, the third cap from the left that match yours are off an OTTO P9 switch, but the new ones are different in the way they mount and the finish. The 'old' style caps had a smooth, glossy finish and the new caps have a 'texture' and no gloss to them at all.

I tried one of the OTTO caps on the new switch and, once mounted, sticks up to far and there is a gap around the edge of the button.

I've got an e-mail out to Mouser to see if they have any idea what it might be and OTTO does offer a P6-series of switches, so I may end up ordering one or two of those also.

I also sent another e-mail to CNC Racing but I have a feeling that one is going to get ignored.
I am also picky about the color of the cap, well, I just want all of them black.
So I ordered a custom switch from BSD (Bike Sport Development UK) and then purchase the JetPrime set so I can cannibalize JetPrime electronic module and use it in combination with the BSD Switch. (This is for the left switch, the right switch also from BSD, does not require any electronic module).
I haven't installed it yet though...

I am also picky about the color of the cap, well, I just want all of them black.
So I ordered a custom switch from BSD (Bike Sport Development UK) and then purchase the JetPrime set so I can cannibalize JetPrime electronic module and use it in combination with the BSD Switch. (This is for the left switch, the right switch also from BSD, does not require any electronic module).
I haven't installed it yet though...
I looked at the BSD switches also but, at the time, they didn't have an option for a street-based left switch as they didn't have the electronic module for it to work. Sounds like you found a way around it with the use of the JetPrime module.

I'm going to reach out to JetPrime and BSD also to see if they might be of some help in figuring out my ongoing button cap saga.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I looked at the BSD switches also but, at the time, they didn't have an option for a street-based left switch as they didn't have the electronic module for it to work. Sounds like you found a way around it with the use of the JetPrime module.

I'm going to reach out to JetPrime and BSD also to see if they might be of some help in figuring out my ongoing button cap saga.
When you send an email to BSD, Mick the owner, will answer that email.
You can mention my name Howard as a reminder for him on the left switch that I ordered from him last year.
I also ask him to perform special laser marking to indicate the switch function. I am sure he still has some records about this project.
I posted the details about this in my build thread if you need more reference.

When you send an email to BSD, Mick the owner, will answer that email.
You can mention my name Howard as a reminder for him on the left switch that I ordered from him last year.
I also ask him to perform special laser marking to indicate the switch function. I am sure he still has some records about this project.
I posted the details about this in my build thread if you need more reference.
Yes, I had seen the work that BSD had done for you on the switches.

I appreciate the help, Howard.

bp_SFV4

CNC Racing has said you can't change the button caps but that doesn't seem to be the case as I've already swapped a few caps around and they seem to work fine.
How are you removing them once they are already installed without damaging the ring around it? Jetprime had some already installed and others I got to choose. I'd like them all to be black or grey.

I actually use the backside of a utility knife's blade and you can work that under the lip of the button and that allows you to pop it off. Since you're using the edge of the blade you have a good amount of contact on the ring so it doesn't damage or mark it in any way.

If you're worried about it you can buy some cheap buttons on eBay or Amazon and practice getting them off before going to work on your switches. It's not hard at all.

bp_SFV4

I actually use the backside of a utility knife's blade and you can work that under the lip of the button and that allows you to pop it off. Since you're using the edge of the blade you have a good amount of contact on the ring so it doesn't damage or mark it in any way.

If you're worried about it you can buy some cheap buttons on eBay or Amazon and practice getting them off before going to work on your switches. It's not hard at all.
Can you post a link or a p/n for the caps? I'm having a miserable time getting any useful result out of Mouser, eBay or Amazon.

An odd problem I'm fighting is that on my Jetprime throttle housing, the on/off button has a different style cap. It's a matte red with a flat spot. Its is 12mm in diameter The hole in which what I'm calling the post for the switch is 4mm but is longer than on the glossy style OTTO caps. It looks like the cap you have pictured on the far right would work though. Here are some pics.

Attachments

Can you post a link or a p/n for the caps? I'm having a miserable time getting any useful result out of Mouser, eBay or Amazon.

An odd problem I'm fighting is that on my Jetprime throttle housing, the on/off button has a different style cap. It's a matte red with a flat spot. Its is 12mm in diameter The hole in which what I'm calling the post for the switch is 4mm but is longer than on the glossy style OTTO caps. It looks like the cap you have pictured on the far right would work though. Here are some pics.
Here you go...

Amazon 12mm Push Button Switches

eBay 12mm Push Button Switches

OTTO P9 Push Button Switches

That's odd that they used a different style of button for the On/Off function but it is an on/off switch and not a 'momentary' switch like some of the others. The OTTO P9 switches from Mouser are going to be the glossy style caps that are fully round. The Amazon and eBay switches look to be the matte finish buttons like yours with the 'flat' spot.

If you shoot me a message and let me know what color cap(s) you might be looking for I can throw a couple of those that you see on the left in the mail for you. Be easier to try something I've already got if you want to go that route and you'd owe me nothing.

Let me know.

bp_SFV4

I found the switches, just not the caps. I thought you were ordering a bag of the caps in whatever particular color you want. OTTO does have part number for them, I just can't find anyone that stocks them.

I was trying to get a glossy red one to replace the matte red top. I wonder if there was supply chain issues or maybe a QC problem so they had to source another switch for the on/off. It annoys me that it's different. Had I not ordered it from overseas, it would have been returned.

I did find the tall dome caps on Mouser, just not the short ones that comes with the Jetprime switches.

If you look at the PNP series of switches made by C&K, they appear to be of similar size and construction to OTTO switches. For their switches (AP series) where I can find a drawing of the button, they have a longer stem like the matte red button.

Last edited:

bp_SFV4

I ordered two of the PNP C&K switch caps from Digikey. I'll update this thread when they arrive and post pics.

Sorry about that...I haven't found anyone that sells just the caps unfortunately with the exception of ordering some through Warhorse HSBK Racing 18 months or so ago.

I never thought button caps would be such a PITA but it seems I'm not the only one. Misery loves company!

bp_SFV4

No worries. Is the HSBK item you ordered a catalog item you can link or was it something special?

For anyone curious, I got the C&K cap, its glossy red but is incompatible.
These different caps are a pain to figure out...I did speak to Jetprime and they said they'd be able to provide me the push button switches that are used in the CNC Racing handlebar switches. $40 for switches and $75 for shipping...seeing if I can now get them through Warhorse HSBK.

The saga continues.