Yooshdog's V4S

yooshdog

Hi everyone,
Thought I'd share my experiences as I slowly set up my V4S as a track bike.
I'm a ex-Yamaha factory superbike engineer, so maybe I'll make things work, maybe I won't. Switching over from a R1M that was riding pretty well since I can't leave well enough alone.

From the other weekend at Chuckwalla:unnamed (1).jpg

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for starting your BUILD Thread and share your journey with us @yooshdog ,
with your experience at Yamaha, I am sure you will master all the technical development of your V4S 😃
By the way, I noticed your wheel has different color... since I believe the stock V4S wheel were black.
Did you paint it? if yes, may I know what color / paint code that you are using? That wheel looks marvelous :love:

Bruce Wayne

Hi everyone,
Thought I'd share my experiences as I slowly set up my V4S as a track bike.
I'm a ex-Yamaha factory superbike engineer, so maybe I'll make things work, maybe I won't. Switching over from a R1M that was riding pretty well since I can't leave well enough alone.

From the other weekend at Chuckwalla:View attachment 8275
Did you work in the US or Europe as a Yamaha engineer? I worked in WSS a while ago

yooshdog

Thank you for starting your BUILD Thread and share your journey with us @yooshdog ,
with your experience at Yamaha, I am sure you will master all the technical development of your V4S 😃
By the way, I noticed your wheel has different color... since I believe the stock V4S wheel were black.
Did you paint it? if yes, may I know what color / paint code that you are using? That wheel looks marvelous :love:
The wheels are off of a 1299 Aniversario, so color is whatever the stock Ducati color is. 😬
Did you work in the US or Europe as a Yamaha engineer? I worked in WSS a while ago
I was in the US, AMA/MotoAmerica superbike

KODAKHODAK

How good does Engine Covers look off on Ducatis... Its a standard thing i take off when i get my bikes, BTW love this Build and those wheels OOFFFT

V4boyz

I swear I saw this similar bike, with oem v4s wheels, but same exhaust from v4 extreme on instagram. That sc1-gp is so gorgeous. I'm so close to getting one for my SF.

yooshdog

Wow what an unexpected surprise!
Since I've neglected this for long enough, time for some updates from last year:
I had put these Renthal grips on.
They feel pretty good, but not sure if I like them more than the stock Yamaha grips I rode with forever on my old bike... Good enough though until they get worn out.
What I didn't like though is the big bar end that hits the slider on my glove. It twisted my hand into an awkward position. I stole the bar end I had on the R1 so that fixed this issue.
Grip.jpg
IMG-3202.jpg
IMG-4711.jpg
IMG-4710.jpg

yooshdog

Footpegs felt a little low so got some rear sets.
IMG-3225.jpg
IMG-3226.jpg
Which is when things start going down hill...
2.jpg
The shift rod that comes with the rearsets don't actually thread into the stock shift switch M8 vs M6 thread. AND it's way too short if it did thread on. I had to design one and have it machined with an M8 thread on one end and M6 on the other at the proper length.
4.jpg
Oh but wait the rod doesn't line up with the location on the shift pedal either. Far too inboard. This needed a spacer and longer bolt...
unnamed.jpg
There's a hole at the yellow arrow to mount to the fairings, which doesn't actually line up to anything (at least on mine) The right side lined up fine. So had to make a quick bracket (blue circle). Also the shift pedal rubs on the fairing when down shifting.

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Footpegs felt a little low so got some rear sets.
View attachment 11211
View attachment 11212
Which is when things start going down hill...
View attachment 11213
The shift rod that comes with the rearsets don't actually thread into the stock shift switch M8 vs M6 thread. AND it's way too short if it did thread on. I had to design one and have it machined with an M8 thread on one end and M6 on the other at the proper length.
View attachment 11214
Oh but wait the rod doesn't line up with the location on the shift pedal either. Far too inboard. This needed a spacer and longer bolt...
View attachment 11216
There's a hole at the yellow arrow to mount to the fairings, which doesn't actually line up to anything (at least on mine) The right side lined up fine. So had to make a quick bracket (blue circle). Also the shift pedal rubs on the fairing when down shifting.
Hi Yooshdog,
Could it be because they sent you the wrong year model?

bp_SFV4

Nice. I got a Race Seat a couple of weeks ago in their taller flat profile with the straight sides.