Tire temp

Araitim

MASTER Builder & Moderator
Staff member
I had an idea and wanted to run it by the group. We all know that tire pressure and tire temp are very important to be quick. Would an onboard tire temp readout be useful? The electrical information and intervention is forever growing, while out riding (especially in the AM ) I often wonder if my tires are warm enough to hit a few certain turns. I'm looking to see if you think it would be useful and have its place in the motorcycle community. Track bikes too, no more pulling tire warmers to run the track and checking temp with a thermometer. Thoughts?

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
I had an idea and wanted to run it by the group. We all know that tire pressure and tire temp are very important to be quick. Would an onboard tire temp readout be useful? The electrical information and intervention is forever growing, while out riding (especially in the AM ) I often wonder if my tires are warm enough to hit a few certain turns. I'm looking to see if you think it would be useful and have its place in the motorcycle community. Track bikes too, no more pulling tire warmers to run the track and checking temp with a thermometer. Thoughts?
It definitely has its place. Many sports cars have the readout for tire pressure and temp. All GP teams run several sensors to get the temp across the tire. I've run tire temp sensors on race bikes with data logging capability since the mid 2000's.

Jrkk

You can ged those and connect it to datalogger. I have seen it on track.

I usually measure Temps and pressures, but my speed isn't really enough to maintain 80°C, except very hot day. :rolleyes:
I see the point in road riding. Tires could be too cool sometimes.

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
You can ged those and connect it to datalogger. I have seen it on track.

I usually measure Temps and pressures, but my speed isn't really enough to maintain 80°C, except very hot day. :rolleyes:
I see the point in road riding. Tires could be too cool sometimes.
That's what I used with the Aim MXL data logger.

PanigalePilot

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
I have thought this exact thing when going into a turn on an early morning ride. My solution for the road is to just not take risks in the first 20 to 30 minutes of the ride to let some temp into the tyres. On the track as I do not have tyre warmers I make sure I do 3 or 4 laps and build up before going any where 9/10ths. As I am not racing anyone it does not really matter.

If a person was a racer it would be great to see some readout to see where your tyres are at. Great idea.

Bruce Wayne

I have thought this exact thing when going into a turn on an early morning ride. My solution for the road is to just not take risks in the first 20 to 30 minutes of the ride to let some temp into the tyres. On the track as I do not have tyre warmers I make sure I do 3 or 4 laps and build up before going any where 9/10ths. As I am not racing anyone it does not really matter.

If a person was a racer it would be great to see some readout to see where your tyres are at. Great idea.
Unless you are sitting in pitlane for more than 5min you should be ok to push from the first corner, i am more cautious if im riding with carbon rims as they don't hold the heat the same as Alluminium. We did a test years back where we got tyres up to temperature then took warmers off and measured temperature every minute, the initial drop was fast but they maintained good temperature for 10 min. In racing temp sensors are used to monitor the increase in tyre temp on track to get the starting pressure correct, a psi either way can make a huge difference, we have a target increase and if we wait until the bike returned to the pit box the temperature would have dropped already so the temperature sensors can record on the data logger.