New V4 Engine

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
So there is a teaser about a new V4 engine. What do you guys think this will be for? October 1st they will provide more info.

V4 916

Administrator
Staff member
What I really notice is the spacing between each cylinder is very tight, it's interesting to see what it will do to the design of the cylinder head and also heat management, especially in the area between cylinders where a water jacket holes must be very thin...

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
What I really notice is the spacing between each cylinder is very tight, it's interesting to see what it will do to the design of the cylinder head and also heat management, especially in the area between cylinders where a water jacket holes must be very thin...

Saw that also. So could it be a small displacement for the Hyper?

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
I see the engine is for the Multistrada :unsure:
Hmmm must be because the Multistrada engine is not stress (heat) like a Panigale engine with lower rpm bands... but I wonder if that change the good torque character of a V2...

BMW Alpina

Staff member
This article describe more about the upcoming engine in details:

Multistrada V4: Ducati ditches Desmo for new Granturismo engine

Multistrada V4: Ducati ditches Desmo for new Granturismo engine

Ducati have officially unveiled the Granturismo version of their V4 engine to be used in the eagerly awaited new Multistrada V4. One of the biggest changes is a move away from Desmodromic valve actuation.

The change comes in pursuit of reliability and long service life. The Desmo valve set-up – where the engine’s valves are closed by cam-operated rocker arms rather than springs – offers advantages in peak power but also increases wear and needs regular adjustments. Since the Multistrada V4 doesn’t prioritise power, the move to conventional valve springs makes sense.

The result is an astonishing 60,000km gap between valve adjustment services. That’s over 37,000 miles – twice as long as on any Ducati Desmo engine. Oil changes are still needed at 9000 miles or two years, with air filter replacements at 18,000 miles, but those are relatively quick, simple procedures.

The engine itself grows from 1103cc to 1158cc with a 2mm increase in bore size to 83mm. Stroke is unchanged at 53.5mm. In terms of performance, the new Multistrada V4 makes 168bhp at 10,500rpm and 92ft-lb at 8750rpm. That’s more than 40hp down on the Panigale V4, but around level on torque.

The new Multistrada V4 will be fully unveiled in November 4th.

Araitim

MASTER Builder & Moderator
Staff member
I'm sad they did away with the desmo valves. In my opinion part of their claim to fame was their unique valve actuation. I feel the next logical (honestly, not joking) is to take on the servo actuated "valvefree camless" valving system that Koenigsegg is doing in their latest supercars. The brand was built around exotic valving, it's the logical next step into the future. Koenigsegg is making insane power along with reliability using this unique system. It basically attaches each valve to its own actuator. This allows for complete control of the valve at any rpm. No rotation resistance(another thing Ducati desmo had going for them). No need for cam swaps, just a quick tune to open valves farther or longer duration at any given point. I'm sad to see the use of desmo removed from this new motor when they had opportunity to be the bench mark again opposed to just following suit with everyone else. I understand they will still be using desmo motors in some bikes. Just seems like a missed opportunity.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I'm sad they did away with the desmo valves. In my opinion part of their claim to fame was their unique valve actuation. I feel the next logical (honestly, not joking) is to take on the servo actuated "valvefree camless" valving system that Koenigsegg is doing in their latest supercars. The brand was built around exotic valving, it's the logical next step into the future. Koenigsegg is making insane power along with reliability using this unique system. It basically attaches each valve to its own actuator. This allows for complete control of the valve at any rpm. No rotation resistance(another thing Ducati desmo had going for them). No need for cam swaps, just a quick tune to open valves farther or longer duration at any given point. I'm sad to see the use of desmo removed from this new motor when they had opportunity to be the bench mark again opposed to just following suit with everyone else. I understand they will still be using desmo motors in some bikes. Just seems like a missed opportunity.
I think the reason is Ducati need to be able to market as much bike as possible (make as much money) before the most radical change of going electric (which will cost a lot for R&D).
Developing another internal combustion engine with a new technology will require both time and money, and Ducati will not have time to waste and need to go electric asap, plus no money to waste and again need the money for electric bike...
That is if Ducati still want to exist for another century...

DucatiKev

FOUNDING Member
Seems like electric is the next step, I wonder if those bikes will have a giro to help keep the bike upright.
Maybe it’ll have some loudspeakers too that fake a reving engine going through the gears? Want that Akra sound??? It’s $5,000 for some new speakers and amps. Yeah right, some countries have cameras to fine drivers for violating noise restrictions

But yes moving forward exotic valve systems would be cool on the superbikes but for a comfy adventure bike, I’ll take their current solution/step forward.. or maybe step backwards

PanigalePilot

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
Seems like electric is the next step, I wonder if those bikes will have a giro to help keep the bike upright.
Maybe it’ll have some loudspeakers too that fake a reving engine going through the gears? Want that Akra sound??? It’s $5,000 for some new speakers and amps. Yeah right, some countries have cameras to fine drivers for violating noise restrictions

But yes moving forward exotic valve systems would be cool on the superbikes but for a comfy adventure bike, I’ll take their current solution/step forward.. or maybe step backwards
I just want to see what else coming out in superikes😁

PanigalePilot

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
Wow
Thought I would check out the Ducati page and found the new V4 SP

black is not my favorite colour on bikes but that is not to bad
I assume this is meant to be a step up in the range from the V4R

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Wow
Thought I would check out the Ducati page and found the new V4 SP

black is not my favorite colour on bikes but that is not to bad
I assume this is meant to be a step up in the range from the V4R
I agree, eventhough the V4R is still more expensive, but the V4SP had larger displacement engine, adjustable electronic suspension, BST wheel and a better Stylema R Calipers.
but also like you, I prefer the red color on a Ducati.