Clip ons a aftermarket controls

A016738

Posted this on the other forum recently and got a mixed response. Figured I’d toss it out here also..apologies to those who participate in both places for being repetitive.

For those running aftermarket clip ons….Any fitment issues with hitting the fairings? I’m considering the woodcraft long bar clip ons with the jet-prime QAT, integrated right switch and matching left switches with the Stock clutch and brake MCs. Was also considering keeping the stock switches with the woodcraft bars. Bad idea to try to adapt stock controls and switches to A/M clip-ons?

I get in maybe a track day a year but it’s mostly a street queen. The woodcraft clip ons desire is mostly from a comfort/leverage standpoint with a dash of aesthetics thrown in.

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Posted this on the other forum recently and got a mixed response. Figured I’d toss it out here also..apologies to those who participate in both places for being repetitive.

For those running aftermarket clip ons….Any fitment issues with hitting the fairings? I’m considering the woodcraft long bar clip ons with the jet-prime QAT, integrated right switch and matching left switches with the Stock clutch and brake MCs. Was also considering keeping the stock switches with the woodcraft bars. Bad idea to try to adapt stock controls and switches to A/M clip-ons?

I get in maybe a track day a year but it’s mostly a street queen. The woodcraft clip ons desire is mostly from a comfort/leverage standpoint with a dash of aesthetics thrown in.
I am not familiar with Woodcraft clip-on, but was it designed for Panigale V4? Even if it is not, I believe you can still modify the angle, so it should clear the fairing.

Actually I just check Woodcraft website: 53mm Clip-ons with Panigale V4 / V2 Damper Bracket and Extra Long Black Bars
It is specifically for the Panigale V4, and looks like it even came with the steering damper mounting bracket, so this should fit your bike without hitting the fairing as long as you adjust the angle similar to the stock angle.

A016738

Thanks Howard ! I actually ended up going with the IMA units.

More adjustability, and I found numerous posts of guys who have used them without issue. Haven’t received them yet, but when I do, I might just try drilling them out to accept the stock controls.

Has anyone here just pulled the pins from the stock switches and reinstalled them on aftermarket bars? Will they stay on tight enough without the pins there to prevent shifting in spinning on the bar?

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Congratulations, IMA is much nicer in both looks and adaptability. If you are using Aftermarket switches, the PIN is not necessary from my experience using the Bike Sport Development switches, but I think it is best to keep using the pin with the original plastic switches (even if initially it will stay without spinning).

bp_SFV4

There are not any pins installed into the bars with the OEM controls. I feel like we have to define 'controls' for the purpose of this conversation so we're all talking about the same thing.

The OEM controls, by that I mean the electronic left and right control modules, are held in place by a locking tab which has a plastic pin that sits in a hole drilled into the bar. The throttle has a small metal roll pin and a plastic pin which are built into the throttle housing that reside is appropriately sized holes in the bars.

I'd call the throttle and the brake and clutch master cylinders by their individual names. While all of this things are 'controls' I feel those three are more often referred to by their individual names.

If you talking about the roll pins used to locate the clutch and brake master, you don't need those. The clamping force is sufficient to keep them from moving. I'd speculate they are there so in mass production every clutch and brake master is in the exact same position.

Last edited:

BMW Alpina

Staff member
There are not any pins installed into the bars with the OEM controls. I feel like we have to define 'controls' for the purpose of this conversation so we're all talking about the same thing.

The OEM controls, by that I mean the electronic left and right control modules, are held in place by a locking tab which has a plastic pin that sits in a hole drilled into the bar. The throttle has a small metal roll pin and a plastic pin which are built into the throttle housing that reside is appropriately sized holes in the bars.

I'd call the throttle and the brake and clutch master cylinders by their individual names. While all of this things are 'controls' I feel those three are more often referred to by their individual names.

If you talking about the roll pins used to locate the clutch and brake master, you don't need those. The clamping force is sufficient to keep them from moving. I'd speculate they are there so in mass production every clutch and brake master is in the exact same position.
Thanks for the correct information bp_SFV4, I forgot that the pin for the plastic switches is plastic pin and goes into the hole in the handlebar.

@A016738 , I also will need to work on my Melotti Racing clip-on handle bar soon, hopefully everything will fit easily since this clip-on handlebar is not specific for Panigale,... I just need it due to custom diameter...

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I'd love to see a delrin drill jig for the bars that exactly locates the holes.
I actually bought a drill jig to locate the holes for both the 998 and the V4 clip-on since they are both aftermarket, but I don't think it is a delrin, I think mine is steel...