Aella Engine Sliders

Pete T

Staff member
Today I am installing Aella engine sliders. I have a small problem in that the Ducati Performance carbon generator cover uses one of the same bolt holes. The cover is 8mm thick at that point so I purchased screws that are suitably longer and as a temporary solution, while I confirm the final extra spacing (8mm, or more?), I am using stainless M6 washers. I will replace these with anodised aluminium spacers of correct length.

At first I thought it might not be possible to have both the Aella and DP components together. But turns out that only a very tiny modification was required with my Dremel to grind away a bit of carbon in two places. I re-sealed the carbon wound with JB Weld "Plastic Bonder". This is similar to 5 minute Araldite epoxy resin (which would give a clear gloss finish on my matt carbon) but claims to be suitable for carbon fibre composites and is deep black in colour.

In the photo you can see the crescent moon that I ground out. The other spot is very tiny and directly above it in the middle.

My "problem" now is that the instructions are in Japanese. I can see torque values of 10Nm and 18Nm but can't decipher which value applies to which bolt. Since both of these greatly exceed the original Ducati spec of 3Nm for all bolts, and the DP carbon spec of 5Nm (applied to longer bolts with more thread length) I want to be certain.

Does anyone have English instructions for Aella sliders or know what torque to apply on each bolt?
20200914_174259_copy_1512x2016.jpg

Lucati

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
Ducati has the torque on the cover as 3nm? That just seems odd to me. The torque specs on my 1299 are 10nm. If they’re m6 bolts you should be fine torquing to 10nm

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Today I am installing Aella engine sliders. I have a small problem in that the Ducati Performance carbon generator cover uses one of the same bolt holes. The cover is 8mm thick at that point so I purchased screws that are suitably longer and as a temporary solution, while I confirm the final extra spacing (8mm, or more?), I am using stainless M6 washers. I will replace these with anodised aluminium spacers of correct length.

At first I thought it might not be possible to have both the Aella and DP components together. But turns out that only a very tiny modification was required with my Dremel to grind away a bit of carbon in two places. I re-sealed the carbon wound with JB Weld "Plastic Bonder". This is similar to 5 minute Araldite epoxy resin (which would give a clear gloss finish on my matt carbon) but claims to be suitable for carbon fibre composites and is deep black in colour.

In the photo you can see the crescent moon that I ground out. The other spot is very tiny and directly above it in the middle.

My "problem" now is that the instructions are in Japanese. I can see torque values of 10Nm and 18Nm but can't decipher which value applies to which bolt. Since both of these greatly exceed the original Ducati spec of 3Nm for all bolts, and the DP carbon spec of 5Nm (applied to longer bolts with more thread length) I want to be certain.

Does anyone have English instructions for Aella sliders or know what torque to apply on each bolt?
View attachment 617

Hi Pete,
The 10Nm is for the bolts that hold the AELLA brackets and goes to the engine block, and the 18Nm is for the single large center bolt that hold the actual black "slider" to the AELLA brackets.

Also Pete, try to download "Google Translate App" onto your smartphone. It can use your camera to see the AELLA user manual then will try to translate it for you "LIVE".

Pete T

Staff member
Ducati has the torque on the cover as 3nm? That just seems odd to me. The torque specs on my 1299 are 10nm. If they’re m6 bolts you should be fine torquing to 10nm
Thanks Lucati, yes the original bolts are very short and Ducati says only 3Nm. The replacement bolts that came with the DP carbon protectors are longer with longer threaded length and corresponding higher 5Nm torque. The Aella bolts are longer again and I replaced these with some that are even longer to allow for the DP carbon pieces. From what I've read about calculating torques the thread length is an important factor. Extra length distributes the clamping force over a greater area and so allows the use of greater torque if needed. But too much torque on a short bolt runs the risk of stripping the thread. I ended up mounting the sliders with 10Nm torque on all bolts until I find out where 18Nm is used.

Hi Pete,
The 10Nm is for the bolts that hold the AELLA brackets and goes to the engine block, and the 18Nm is for the single large center bolt that hold the actual black "slider" to the AELLA brackets.

Also Pete, try to download "Google Translate App" onto your smartphone. It can use your camera to see the AELLA user manual then will try to translate it for you "LIVE".
Thanks BMW. All bolts now properly secured. Yes I will give the translator app a try later. That sounds very useful.

So there is ONE BOLT! that penetrates a silicone seal under the left side slider. A tube of ThreeBond 1207B sealant (it happens to be a very special top of the line product, of course) costs AUD$53. I was very tempted to skip it. However, seeing as this is the same bolt that holds the carbon protector it means I have now disturbed the seal twice - and I may need to back it off a third time when I replace the temporary washers on the other bolts with what at this point is looking like custom spacers - I decided to buy it. Doubt I'll ever get to use it again...

20200928_152625_copy_1632x1224.jpg

Anyway the job is done now. I'm happy with the way they look and that I've got a little bit more protection if the bike falls over. In a proper crash, who knows? Almost all of my damage to other bikes has occured when the bike was not in motion. The V4's sidestand does not inspire confidence where there is just the slightest depression so any extra protection is welcome.

Last week somebody posted their experience with a V4 lowside crash. The side fairing did get damaged but was saved from much worse because the plastic winglet acted as a slider. (Possibly a bit of luckluck in that it didn't snap or rip out of it's mount.) Unlike the carbon ones the plastic are two-piece and the outside piece is relatively cheap to replace. So the Aella sliders might completely protect the fairing at least in a soft landing.

Btw BMW I really do like the gold theme on your sliders. Really suits that exceptional bike. But on mine I think the all black with the thin red decorative strip are ideal.

20200915_123512_copy_408x330.jpg
20200912_133104_copy_505x362.jpg