Which Carbon?

Pete T

Staff member
Not sure if I want to go down this path. It's an expensive little item for what it is, and others might be interested, so thought I'd discuss with you guys on the forum.

Some months ago I ordered an Ilmberger tail cover - it'll arrive eventually, I'm slowly learning COVID patience - and in the meantime have been mulling over the seat pad. There is the Ilmberger option which should be the most perfect match in terms of both fit and finish. But I also like the Peter Lieb product that has the rebate for a Ducati badge. It's also (inexplicably) 20% cheaper than the eye-watering Ilmberger. And that includes the extra cost of the badge for the Lieb. But hey, not focussing on money for now.

Both say their carbon weave is identical to the Ducati Performance products.

So my question is, does the Lieb seat pad perfectly match the shape of the Ilmberger tail cover? And does the clear coat of each manufacturer (matt in this case) perfectly match?

Picture shows very close fit of the Ilmberger pair...followed by the Lieb option...

Screenshot_20210206-130013.png
Shop 1_4_470_0_479_0.jpg

In the meantime I have a spare Corse badge and when the tail cover arrives will stick it onto the plastic seat pad and see how than looks.

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Not sure if I want to go down this path. It's an expensive little item for what it is, and others might be interested, so thought I'd discuss with you guys on the forum.

Some months ago I ordered an Ilmberger tail cover - it'll arrive eventually, I'm slowly learning COVID patience - and in the meantime have been mulling over the seat pad. There is the Ilmberger option which should be the most perfect match in terms of both fit and finish. But I also like the Peter Lieb product that has the rebate for a Ducati badge. It's also (inexplicably) 20% cheaper than the eye-watering Ilmberger. And that includes the extra cost of the badge for the Lieb. But hey, not focussing on money for now.

Both say their carbon weave is identical to the Ducati Performance products.

So my question is, does the Lieb seat pad perfectly match the shape of the Ilmberger tail cover? And does the clear coat of each manufacturer (matt in this case) perfectly match?

Picture shows very close fit of the Ilmberger pair...followed by the Lieb option...

View attachment 2804
View attachment 2805

In the meantime I have a spare Corse badge and when the tail cover arrives will stick it onto the plastic seat pad and see how than looks.

Hi Pete T,

I have both Ilmberger and Peter Lieb carbon products.

Also, I have the older version of Peter Lieb Seat Pad "Cover" again just the cover not the full seat pad (without the recess for the Ducati Corse Emblem).

The Ilmberger finish is more Grey a bit, while the Peter Lieb finished is more Chocolate a bit if you put them side by side.
Both are beautiful and I can't choose which one is better in color by itself,

In my personal point of view, Peter Lieb finished look more warm and luxurious while Ilmberger finish is more Dry and RACING looks.

So depend on which looks you after more...

However, if you already order the carbon tail of Ilmberger, then the Ilmberger will be a perfect match, especially because the rear tail cover and the seat pad will be directly side by side (like asking to be compare to each other 😅)

An untrained watcher passing by, might not notice that much differences if you decided to purchase Peter Lieb's carbon seat pad cover though, however, you will "always" know ;)
note: even Peter Lieb once told me better not mix and match because there will always be slight differences in color to the keen eye... 🧐

Having said that, I am ordering the new version of the Full Seat Pad (not just cover) from Peter Lieb with the recessed for the emblem since I had many extra Ducati Corse emblems in my drawer right now, so I better find a good use of those emblem 🤪

Here is my current Peter Lieb's "cover" and for this I use just a sticker (not the emblem):
IMG_9652.JPG

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Ups, I forgot to answer about the shape, I am pretty sure unless you are using Micron Meter Precision CMM probe, they both have the same shape since both are using the factory seat pad as their design references,
and both Ilmberger Tail cover can be used with Ducati Stock Seat Pad while Peter Lieb's Seat Pad can be used with Ducati Stock tail cover.
So shape shouldn't be an issue and Both have the same carbon weave as the Ducati Performance products.

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
Hi Pete T,

I have both Ilmberger and Peter Lieb carbon products.

Also, I have the older version of Peter Lieb Seat Pad "Cover" again just the cover not the full seat pad (without the recess for the Ducati Corse Emblem).

The Ilmberger finish is more Grey a bit, while the Peter Lieb finished is more Chocolate a bit if you put them side by side.
Both are beautiful and I can't choose which one is better in color by itself,

In my personal point of view, Peter Lieb finished look more warm and luxurious while Ilmberger finish is more Dry and RACING looks.

So depend on which looks you after more...

However, if you already order the carbon tail of Ilmberger, then the Ilmberger will be a perfect match, especially because the rear tail cover and the seat pad will be directly side by side (like asking to be compare to each other 😅)

An untrained watcher passing by, might not notice that much differences if you decided to purchase Peter Lieb's carbon seat pad cover though, however, you will "always" know ;)
note: even Peter Lieb once told me better not mix and match because there will always be slight differences in color to the keen eye... 🧐

Having said that, I am ordering the new version of the Full Seat Pad (not just cover) from Peter Lieb with the recessed for the emblem since I had many extra Ducati Corse emblems in my drawer right now, so I better find a good use of those emblem 🤪

Here is my current Peter Lieb's "cover" and for this I use just a sticker (not the emblem):
View attachment 2806
Spot on! I concur