Questions: Best Tool for installing tire that will not scratch/mar the wheel

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Hello everyone,

I am going to need to install my new tire onto my new Marchesini rims, and I want to purchase some manual tire install tool that also will not mar/scratch my new rims.

Anyone here had any recommendations from your own experience? I prefer not to go to a tire shop because I worry they might scratch my rims.

I already have the manual balancing tools. All I need now is to find good tire-installing tools.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I have similar than this:

Important is that plastic part that do the job. It needs to be nylon or similar slick plastic. Then it's up to you how careful you are.
Thanks for the information @Jrkk , however, on this tool, it said that it is NOT suitable for 310 to 320 mm disks, and my 998 has 320mm disks.... but it also did not explain what disk brake diameter it is suitable for.

I found these 2 models so far and wonder if anyone here has experience using them:
Rabaconda Street Bike Tire Changer
1674323210346.png

and

No-Mar Tire Changers

BMW Alpina

Staff member
FWIW, I've read good things about the No-Mar.
Thanks @bp_SFV4 ,
After doing more research, I agree that No-Mar has better build quality, but it requires to be bolted to a concrete floor (permanently attached) or mounted on the tow hitch (2") of a truck (which I don't have yet).
The Rabaconda is more compact and flexible, but it's not as easy to use as the No-Mar.
Since I don't need to dismount the tire and just install the tire at this moment, I think the Zip-Tie should work fine. Just ordered some larger zip tie from Amazon and will try to install the tire this weekend (if the tire arrives on time).

Araitim

MASTER Builder & Moderator
Staff member
I think I am going to try this method first 😁:
I just tried this 3 weeks ago and bailed on the process. It was distorting the rubber to much. It felt like the zip ties were going to cause permanent damage to the tire, sidewall and bead.
Getting the tires off is the hard part. Putting them on is super easy with soap n water, one tire iron and plastic bead protectors especially on the forged wheels. My old cast wheels, the inner part of the rim was so thick that it made install and removal quite a bit more digital compared to the forged replacement. I would have never thought.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Could you just bolt the No-Mar to a piece of 3/4" OSB to serve as a stable platform?
I could, and I read that some people did what you suggested.
However, after finding this zip-tie method, I feel that I must give it a try first and see how it works on the Pirelli Supercorsa.
Araitim has a great point, though, and if I see an indication that my tire might be damaged, I will purchase the No-Mar.