Panigale V4S- Superleggera conversion

Apuca

Well, after many months of working on the bike I’ve finally completed the conversion. Unfortunately, I’ve not recorded every step of the way-I got in the groove of things and just decided on the putting in a few photos and where it is today. The difference in agility is astonishing. Before I get hassled with the question as to why I just didn’t purchase and SL4, simple answer is that they had no “new” units available. I don’t purchase used bikes, it’s just a thing for me. I’m going to add before and after with some work around since I had to make adjustments to accommodate the electronic suspension and exhaust.

Apuca

I needed to sort out some routing… luckily Rizoma makes adjustable rear sets for the SL4. Extremely rare and hard to find. Took some time to get.C08FABF6-9677-497A-B627-78568B98E366.jpeg8D9117FB-FB3C-4997-8618-DAD71FA099F2.jpeg22A644F2-F214-4F21-8991-F8F88F02BBFD.jpegD87CBA89-9D86-4DED-8BC5-EB4BB2DDC661.jpeg

bp_SFV4

Can you tell a difference between the carbon frame and the aluminum one? Did your aluminum one have the cutouts for more flex?

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
I am just speechless 🤩
Every few months or so, the bar at DUCATImodifed keep rising higher and higher (y)

@Apuca , from your research, if someone want to upgrade to the rear carbon fiber swing arm of Superleggera, will it require different rear swingarm axle, and different rear sets?
Actually, can we even use the carbon fiber swing arm with stock aluminum frame of V4S? Thanks

Apuca

I am just speechless 🤩
Every few months or so, the bar at DUCATImodifed keep rising higher and higher (y)

@Apuca , from your research, if someone want to upgrade to the rear carbon fiber swing arm of Superleggera, will it require different rear swingarm axle, and different rear sets?
Actually, can we even use the carbon fiber swing arm with stock aluminum frame of V4S? Thanks
Howard, I have not dig in yet, but I’ll be starting the mod next month and will post here. I will need to swap out the akra rear headers as the carbon swingarm is different shape. Wider for obvious reasons. As for the rear sets, they make a Rizoma set for the SL4, I needed those to accommodate for the heat shield. As you know, the akra heat shield sit screwed into the rear aluminum subframe by a plastic cover. I had mocked up the metal shield with some clamps but was not fully satisfied.

Andy7

FOUNDING Member & Moderator
Staff member
Outstanding, sounds like you went to some effort routing wires to keep the stock forks but is the plan to keep the electronic suspension for good?
Beautiful result, I saw a bunch of SLV4's up close for the first time at WDW and they are a marvel to admire.

bp_SFV4

Howard, I have not dig in yet, but I’ll be starting the mod next month and will post here. I will need to swap out the akra rear headers as the carbon swingarm is different shape. Wider for obvious reasons. As for the rear sets, they make a Rizoma set for the SL4, I needed those to accommodate for the heat shield. As you know, the akra heat shield sit screwed into the rear aluminum subframe by a plastic cover. I had mocked up the metal shield with some clamps but was not fully satisfied.
I didn't know that the carbon swingarm won't work with the full Akrapovic system. That's interesting. I suppose it makes sense as the OEM exhaust heat shield has a heel guard built into it, so it got pushed to the right because of the dimension difference with the swingarm.

Apuca

I didn't know that the carbon swingarm won't work with the full Akrapovic system. That's interesting. I suppose it makes sense as the OEM exhaust heat shield has a heel guard built into it, so it got pushed to the right because of the dimension difference with the swingarm.
Yeah, I didn’t reply to Howard’s post. Yes the pivot point is the same. It’s a matter of changes in the spacers and bearing clearance. So if you look at the the pictures below you’ll see the differences. I needed to extend the 02 sensor as well since it’s positioned in a different place.

Attachments

Apuca

Exhaust fitted 😳🤤. These are essentially open headers- they spit flames… nothing more to add 😊 I have a Brentune Stage 2, hope it runs ok. These were custom made by Spark to fit the akra headers. I did have some issues with the islets lining up for the springs and the slot that’s botched in the header as well. Little clean dremel and filing did the trick to clean it up and fit. They sound UNBELIEVABLE!

Attachments

Apuca

I needed to get some adhesive aluminum material on the back of the lowers. I applied ppf supplied by Tony James design specific for the SL4 along with some on the bottom for rock debris protection

Attachments