22 V4 Won't start up at all (not battery)

ferociious

Alright.....

Purchased a lithium ion battery for my base v4. I foolishly had the battery installed backwards, so the negative wire was connected to the positive terminal, and right as I was about to connect the positive wire to the negative terminal with the bike off, there was a tiny spark.

The bike was off the whole time, but i realized then I had it backwards, and fixed it.

However after flipping the battery around, and connecting it properly the bike would not turn at all. No dashboard lights. No noises of fuel pump being primed etc.

So i connected it to a lithium battery charger and waited for it to fully charge. Still nothing.

So i reinstalled the stock battery. To my horror, the bike won't even turn on with the stock battery.

Now at this point im worried the tiny spark I saw got might have fried something in the bike.

I quickly checked all the fuses in the two boxes above the battery and theyre all intact.

Not sure what else to do at this point other than tow it to the dealership and see what they have to say.

Would appreciate any advice, i feel stupid not double checking and can only hope the whole system isnt fried.

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
I am guessing some of the diodes inside the ECU is broken because of the reverse polarity.

If you take it to the dealer with the stock battery, and you have "good relation" with the dealership, they might be able to fix it under warranty.

ferociious

I am guessing some of the diodes inside the ECU is broken because of the reverse polarity.

If you take it to the dealer with the stock battery, and you have "good relation" with the dealership, they might be able to fix it under warranty.
I never turned the bike on while reverse polarity, however i can't think of anything else.

I will bring it to the dealership. Thanks

Last edited:

ferociious

I stuck my batter in backwards before. I just didn't get as far as you did. ;)

It happens.
I never even turned the key on!

Anyways would it be worth checking any of these for blown fuses? Not even sure they have fuses inside.

I would have tried already but it seems i need to remove the tank to get access to it.

The ones labeled IGN, EMS Load Relay, 30A ( most likely a fuse?)
fuses.jpeg

BMW Alpina

Staff member
I never even turned the key on!

Anyways would it be worth checking any of these for blown fuses? Not even sure they have fuses inside.

I would have tried already but it seems i need to remove the tank to get access to it.

The ones labeled IGN, EMS Load Relay, 30A ( most likely a fuse?)
Hi Ferociious,
30A is a fuse, however for the 30A fuse to be blown, that mean there is a short circuit that cause the current flowing through that fuse to be over 30amp.
Since you said you haven't turn on the bike, so... based on this fact, I doubt there was 30amp short circuit inside your ECU that can cause this fuse to be blown (if there is, most likely you will smell or even see something burning with 30amp of short)...
However, to make sure, of course it's worth checking it...

Now, if your dealer diagnose that it is the ECU that was fried, and it is expensive to replace or repair (if they deny warranty), then I am suggesting you to look on the internet for technician that offer ECU service.
It should be much cheaper if what they need to do just replace some diode or resistor or transistor or capacitor inside the power supply area of the ECU.
ECU is still an electronic device,... so unless the broken part is somekind of CHIP that is not available on the market, then other electronic component is replaceable.

Moving forward, always use your original battery to do the testing until everything is fix,... and don't use your lithium battery for now... because lithium batteries might have some electronic inside that might be broken at the same time....
After everything is working with the original battery, then you can do the testing with the lithium battery again.

ferociious

Hi Ferociious,
30A is a fuse, however for the 30A fuse to be blown, that mean there is a short circuit that cause the current flowing through that fuse to be over 30amp.
Since you said you haven't turn on the bike, so... based on this fact, I doubt there was 30amp short circuit inside your ECU that can cause this fuse to be blown (if there is, most likely you will smell or even see something burning with 30amp of short)...
However, to make sure, of course it's worth checking it...

Now, if your dealer diagnose that it is the ECU that was fried, and it is expensive to replace or repair (if they deny warranty), then I am suggesting you to look on the internet for technician that offer ECU service.
It should be much cheaper if what they need to do just replace some diode or resistor or transistor or capacitor inside the power supply area of the ECU.
ECU is still an electronic device,... so unless the broken part is somekind of CHIP that is not available on the market, then other electronic component is replaceable.

Moving forward, always use your original battery to do the testing until everything is fix,... and don't use your lithium battery for now... because lithium batteries might have some electronic inside that might be broken at the same time....
After everything is working with the original battery, then you can do the testing with the lithium battery again.
Yes the bike was never turned on. I never turned the key on however i know the red flashing light stopped.

None of the fuses i checked are broken. The only ones i havent checked are the ones in the photo i provided. Should I remove the tank to check those? Or are you saying most likely my ecu is fried and i would have to take it to ducati and get a ecu replaced or get my ecu fixed by a tech?

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Yes the bike was never turned on. I never turned the key on however i know the red flashing light stopped.

None of the fuses i checked are broken. The only ones i havent checked are the ones in the photo i provided. Should I remove the tank to check those? Or are you saying most likely my ecu is fried and i would have to take it to ducati and get a ecu replaced or get my ecu fixed by a tech?
I think you don't have to remove the tank to access that fuse. You should be able to take off the cover of that 30Amp fuse to access it. Even if you need more space you should just pull up the tank a bit, and use some thing to keep a gap so your finger can have more access to the 30amp fuse holder.

However, after checking picture I took a few weeks ago of mine:
1648398558835.png

the same place where you have a fuse is where I put the EC suspension bypass module on my bike... which means, on my bike it was empty...
So I suspect your 30Amp fuse holder might be a fuse for the trickle battery charger? Because my bike came with a trickle battery charger cable (only 15Amp fuse inside mine though because my bike came with Lithium Battery from the factory, so 30Amp maybe for standard lead acid battery trickle charger cable)....

Anyway, it's best to just take a look at that 30amp fuse to be sure...