22 V4 fuel leak on track

Tricky1

Has anyone had issues with the 22 dumping fuel out of the overflow while on track? This is my 4th v4 and I have removed the evap canister as the first mod on all of them. This weekend I was flagged multiple times but only on a hard left hand turn while the thank was 3/4 full.

Jrkk

Early models had problems with over pressure in tank. There was recall about that and they removed small steel ball from tank breather.
That causes fuel leak easily if tank is too full.
3/4 should be OK though.
I have put steel ball back to breather and never had any broblems. Evap canister removed.

Jrkk

So you didn't have any broblems with previous bikes.
Is 22 somehow different šŸ¤”

bp_SFV4

Early models had problems with over pressure in tank. There was recall about that and they removed small steel ball from tank breather.
I have put steel ball back to breather and never had any broblems.
The breather line near the overflow on the front left corner of the tank? I have a 2021 and if I tilt the tank forward fuel will only flow out of the overflow line. Its possible it just needs a catch can for track use.

Jrkk

Catch can would be the best solution, but that suits track only bikes. I don't like the idea that you need to take fairings off to check that can.
Also, problem is that when you have this symptom, volume of overflowing fuel could be significant whenever tank is full.

bp_SFV4

Catch can would be the best solution, but that suits track only bikes. I don't like the idea that you need to take fairings off to check that can.
Also, problem is that when you have this symptom, volume of overflowing fuel could be significant whenever tank is full.
@Jrkk What steel ball were you talking about? Was it the one shown in the PDF that's in the gas cap assembly?

Jrkk

Yes that document describes how to take of that ball.
Of course we do not know exact diameter for that, so I tested couple different size ball. It's not going to prevent vacuum, since it sits top of small plastic notch. When fuel spils, ball hit rubber top piece and prevent further leakage.
Ball needs to be big enough so it sits top of those notches not between. This is important, we don't want to block vacuum.

bp_SFV4

Ahh.

The hole looks to be 6mm. I ordered an assortment kit from Amazon which should have some 5.5mm and 6mm ones so I can get the best fit.

Jrkk

Remember that was official recall to prevent over pressure in tank, and there was some rare fire case.
So probably voids warranty if your bike burns.:rolleyes:
After hot day riding, can you hear fuel boiling. If yes, add some heat shield to tank bottom.

When adding steel ball, indentify hoses and try to check operation of that ball by blowing and sucking from overflow hose.

bp_SFV4

I think removing the EVAP canister does more to prevent vapor lock than removing the steel ball, but Ducati couldn't present that as a fix since its presence is mandated.

bp_SFV4

To get the ball to fit like this....

1650052109981.png

The correct size is 4.5mm. This will allow it to travel up and down in the grooves and seal to the green gasket.