2018 Panigale V4 to... something else.

MaverickiB

She's come a long way for a bike that was the first V4 on the streets of the west coast, thanks to a now defunct dealer breaking the rules and letting me take it home before the official release date.

The image inserting feature doesn't seem to be working for me on mobile right now, so I'll attach them until I can figure it out.20201230_150725_copy_3024x2268.jpg20201230_150715_copy_3024x2268.jpg20201230_150701_copy_3024x2268.jpg20201230_150610_copy_3024x2268.jpg20201230_150557_copy_3024x2268.jpg20201114_135334_copy_2056x2056.jpgIMG_20201114_133010_886.jpg

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
Hi MaverickiB,

Thank You for the pictures and background story of your bike. Your bike looks very purposeful and I especially love the American Flag color theme on the Wings (y)🇺🇸
Also, your AFM exhaust looks awesome and I am sure our moderator @Lucati strongly agree too 😉

Regarding posting a picture, you will need to click on the picture "icon" on the top rows of button (between the "link" button and the "smiley" button) but don't use the "attach files button.

once you click on the picture icon, then you can choose whether to upload from your device/gallery (in this case limited to 2048kb (2mb) size per picture) or use a link to get picture from other site.
If you want a comparison picture (side by side), then I advise resizing the picture to 800x600 pixel.

I just edited your pictures to change it from thumbnail to full size, so it is now looks better :)

Oh, I also love your DZUS Fastener, my question, do you have to enlarge the holes on the fairing to fit the DZUS fastener? it really remind me of my old 916 long long time ago 😃

Thanks again

MaverickiB

Hi MaverickiB,

Thank You for the pictures and background story of your bike. Your bike looks very purposeful and I especially love the American Flag color theme on the Wings (y)🇺🇸
Also, your AFM exhaust looks awesome and I am sure our moderator @Lucati strongly agree too 😉

Regarding posting a picture, you will need to click on the picture "icon" on the top rows of button (between the "link" button and the "smiley" button) but don't use the "attach files button.

once you click on the picture icon, then you can choose whether to upload from your device/gallery (in this case limited to 2048kb (2mb) size per picture) or use a link to get picture from other site.
If you want a comparison picture (side by side), then I advise resizing the picture to 800x600 pixel.

I just edited your pictures to change it from thumbnail to full size, so it is now looks better :)

Oh, I also love your DZUS Fastener, my question, do you have to enlarge the holes on the fairing to fit the DZUS fastener? it really remind me of my old 916 long long time ago 😃

Thanks again
Yeah, for whatever reason, pushing that button was doing nothing. It has worked before, just decided it wasn't gonna work today.

Fortunately, the fairings were pre-drilled and riveted with Dzus fasteners from Bikesplast. It's a perk of ordering an entire fairing set instead of individual pieces. They make life infinitely easier, can remove individual fairing pieces without having to layer them on in the OEM fashion, and takes no more than a minute to get panels off. Every piece has at least one hard mounting point with a real bolt to improve rigidity.

MaverickiB

Shakedown run complete. Going to replace the rear rotor with a Sicom carbon one, ordered it in August but they got hammered by covid and it still hasn't shipped. Will also be replacing the rear brake line, as the wheelspeed sensor relocation bracket makes the OEM line bend very close to the wheel. Can slip a piece of paper between it and the wheel weights. Will be fine for now, but have to replace it as the next chain adjustment could mean them colliding.

20201231_175427_copy_1725x1701.jpg

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Shakedown run complete. Going to replace the rear rotor with a Sicom carbon one, ordered it in August but they got hammered by covid and it still hasn't shipped. Will also be replacing the rear brake line, as the wheelspeed sensor relocation bracket makes the OEM line bend very close to the wheel. Can slip a piece of paper between it and the wheel weights. Will be fine for now, but have to replace it as the next chain adjustment could mean them colliding.

View attachment 2559
Hi MaverickiB,
Did you purchase the new rear caliper bracket from Superbikeunlimited (produced by Evol Technology)?
Evol Technology Ducati V4R / V4 / V4S / V4RS Speed Sensor Relocation Brake Carrier For Stock & Corse Swingarm - ET.
If yes, do you have a closer picture of it installed on your bike?
Is it lighter than the stock Ducati bracket? and I assume you can use the stock speed sensor cable without the need to extend it, right?
Thanks
129329747_3569424083145564_4139746613461609766_o.jpg

MaverickiB

Hi MaverickiB,
Did you purchase the new rear caliper bracket from Superbikeunlimited (produced by Evol Technology)?
Evol Technology Ducati V4R / V4 / V4S / V4RS Speed Sensor Relocation Brake Carrier For Stock & Corse Swingarm - ET.
Is it lighter than the stock Ducati bracket? and I assume you can use the stock speed sensor cable without the need to extend it, right?
Thanks
Yes, that is exactly what I purchased. The stock speed sensor works, but you have to loosen the various brackets along its path (and undo some heat wrapping sticking it to the brake line) in order to feed more of it toward the back of the bike. I chose to do what SBU did and route it around the rear of the swingarm, a semi-snug ziptie around my oversuspension keeping it from straying toward the rear wheel. Also drilled holes in the fender/chain guard to ziptie the cable for further security.

I also had to modify the OEM chain guide/swingarm protector as the eccentric hub moving down puts the chain at an angle wherein it always contacts the OEM guide, even under tension. I shaved quite a bit off the guide and reinstalled it.

CollageMaker_20201227_160651007_copy_2048x2048.jpg
20201230_150725_copy_3024x2268.jpg

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
Hi MaverickiB,
Thanks
View attachment 2560
I sent Evol a email about just getting a replica of the factory bracket. With the speed sensor in stock location. But I haven’t got a response yet.

MaverickiB

What would be the point of that? Bracket doesn't seem to be significantly lighter and isn't much different in appearance. It's not a "bling" piece, it just changes geometry and allows a stock brake caliper on Corse swingarms.

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
What would be the point of that? Bracket doesn't seem to be significantly lighter and isn't much different in appearance. It's not a "bling" piece, it just changes geometry and allows a stock brake caliper on Corse swingarms.
Billet vs cast. I’m sure it offers some weight savings with its pocketed design. Also I’ll anodize it black.

MaverickiB

Billet vs cast. I’m sure it offers some weight savings with its pocketed design. Also I’ll anodize it black.
Why not just do that with the relocated sensor? You can still route sensor wiring like OEM if you want. Also, provided you don't have OEM brake lines, there will be few issues. Only reason OEM lines present an issue is because they have those nonflexible steel sections. Chain guard took 30 minutes with a dremel to take some material off.

BMW Alpina

Staff member
@MaverickiB, I understand the need to change the design (slot) on the bracket to allow more movement due to the "more" adjustability of the CORSE swing arm.
What I don't understand is, why the sensor location was relocated even further away? because from my understanding the CORSE swing arm is actually longer than stock.
Logically, with the longer swing arm, you want the sensor location to be closer to compensate.

@HKMP7 , I asked a question to EVOL on their facebook page 3 weeks ago (which they responded last week):
and EVOL referred me back to superbikeunlimited for "this first batch", so I guess EVOL should be able to accommodate for the "second batch"
Anyway, if they are willing to make another batch with the sensor in the stock location, please count me in for a "group buy" (although the group maybe just you and me 😜)

MaverickiB

@MaverickiB, I understand the need to change the design (slot) on the bracket to allow more movement due to the "more" adjustability of the CORSE swing arm.
What I don't understand is, why the sensor location was relocated even further away? because from my understanding the CORSE swing arm is actually longer than stock.
Logically, with the longer swing arm, you want the sensor location to be closer to compensate.

@HKMP7 , I asked a question to EVOL on their facebook page 3 weeks ago (which they responded last week):
and EVOL referred me back to superbikeunlimited for "this first batch", so I guess EVOL should be able to accommodate for the "second batch"
Anyway, if they are willing to make another batch with the sensor in the stock location, please count me in for a "group buy" (although the group maybe just you and me 😜)
The sensor is moved to the bottom (further away) in order to allow the eccentric hub to use the bottom half of its rotational movement. In OEM setup with the sensor on top, the axle is at its lowest at the extreme ends of adjustment and highest at the middle. Effectively, you are reducing your ride height and pivot angle at normal chain tension. The limiting item on this rotation is the wheelspeed sensor, it contacts the swingarm.

With the sensor on the bottom, the situation is reversed. Lowest ride height/shallowest angle at extreme ends and increased height/angle at normal tension. It is a fairly drastic difference, I went from being able to flatfoot to tippy toeing from that modification alone.

Theres simply no way to get the performance benefits of the lower half of the eccentric hub without moving the sensor. There's nowhere else on the bracket the sensor can go without running into fitment issues with the swingarm and/or reducing the range of adjustment you have.

There is TONS of length in the OEM sensor cable. It could very easily go around the back of my oversuspension with room to spare, I just ran it through to help keep the cable in control. There's zero risk of running out of cable, even with extended swingarms.

POMPLARDPANAM

She's come a long way for a bike that was the first V4 on the streets of the west coast, thanks to a now defunct dealer breaking the rules and letting me take it home before the official release date.

The image inserting feature doesn't seem to be working for me on mobile right now, so I'll attach them until I can figure it out.View attachment 2549View attachment 2550View attachment 2551View attachment 2552View attachment 2553View attachment 2554View attachment 2555
Yeah my bro your Pizza looks awesome are u gonna paint it or wrap it ?

MaverickiB

Installed a new spiegler rear brake line (no ABS) and stahlbus quick bleeder. No longer comes dangerously close to the wheel weights like the OEM line, and allowed me to reroute things away from the chain. Really wish my Sicom rotor would have arrived in time, but oh well.

Rain forecasted for Saturdays track day. Not ideal, but not my first time riding hard in the rain. Hoping the tire vendor has some wets for my spare set of wheels.

IMG_20210118_144053_465.jpg

HKMP7

First 9 & Moderator
Staff member
Nice looking good! Which rotor did you go with the solid carbon or the full floater?

BMW Alpina

Staff member
Installed a new spiegler rear brake line (no ABS) and stahlbus quick bleeder. No longer comes dangerously close to the wheel weights like the OEM line, and allowed me to reroute things away from the chain. Really wish my Sicom rotor would have arrived in time, but oh well.

Rain forecasted for Saturdays track day. Not ideal, but not my first time riding hard in the rain. Hoping the tire vendor has some wets for my spare set of wheels.

View attachment 2685
Hi MaverikiB,
Those OZ racing wheel looks very light, are they lighter than the Marchesini aluminum forged from the V4S? Thanks

MaverickiB

Hi MaverikiB,
Those OZ racing wheel looks very light, are they lighter than the Marchesini aluminum forged from the V4S? Thanks
As far as I know, the GASS RS-As are the lightest aluminum wheel available. If not the absolute lightest, they are at least the lightest at the edges. I think I recall reading one other wheel is overall slightly lighter, but the RS-As have significantly less mass around the far edges.