Monster 937 Build

Durtb1ker

Since the bike was massively diss-assembled, I took the opportunity to change to a set of Starace velocity stacks vs the stock units. They are shaped a bit different and made of a stiff material that doesn't flex or distort.

IMG_1374.jpgIMG_1372.jpgIMG_1373.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Durtb1ker

Since I was ordering velocity stacks from Italy, I threw a throttle tube on order to clean up the play. It works just like the spacer kits and costs about the same. Fits the bar a bit more precisely as well. The stock fasteners on the throttle assembly are tri-tip, so If you don't have a tri-tip driver you can order off amazon or just go the big box store. Many spacer kits include the driver tip, but I'd rather have a one piece solution than putting spacers in.

With the bike back together (and still no way to tune it) I drove it for a few hundred miles. As you can imagine the intake noise is much better than before, but not obnoxious at all. So less than an old Monster with pod filters but still deep and noticeable. The throttle feels like a perfectly adjusted cable unit. Even without a tune the bike pulls very hard through the bottom and mid vs. stock. Throttle wheelies out of corners are now a passive feature.

And of course I have the Pro-grip PG717 fitted. They only last 5-6k miles but they feel fantastic. It is easy to hold on to the controls without gripping them tightly and they are grippy but not sticky. This is a the part of the bike that you use the entire time you ride so making it pleasant is a cheap upgrade that makes a big difference. And, as always, they look cool.

IMG_0612.jpgIMG_0611.jpgIMG_9022.jpg

Durtb1ker

And finally Shift-Tech was able to work with Dimsport to get a handheld tuner working for the Monster 937.

There were some changes to the ecu apparently and while several companies had released units that could *talk* to the 937 and even download the file, they couldn't write to the ECU.

After doing some three-way calls with Shift-Tech and Dimsport they were able to overcome the issue and now instead of mailing the ECU (which involves taking half of the bike apart) we can simply plug in and go. Takes a few minutes, and can be reversed or changed with new maps.

This made the largest difference in how the bike ran. It is difficult to describe, but the machine was just happier afterwards. Smoother. Stronger. I didn't notice any change in temperature or fuel mileage to speak of, but any minor surging or lulls in power that the bike had from the factory were certainly gone.

I haven't been on the dyno with the bike yet, but I did hit 142mph at COTA. And that seems pretty strong for a 100hp naked bike with full-sized rider.

IMG_1129.jpgIMG_1128.jpg

Durtb1ker

With the weight reduced, the suspension sorted, the ergonomics tweaked, and the power smoother and stronger than ever...what do you do?

Take some glamour shots in the driveway and buy a new pushbike to match the color of your Monster (and help you fit in your leathers).

IMG_2383.jpgIMG_2311.jpgIMG_1534.jpgIMG_1538.jpgIMG_1541.jpg

Durtb1ker

My old Monster 1100 had 749/999 integrated reservoirs because it makes the front end look so much cleaner. Unfortunately, this time around there was no model I could steal stock parts off of. So I waited for AEM to release a titanium version. This was costly and I see that they now have an aluminum version with level windows. They still look amazing though and, to my eye, totally change the look of the front of the bike. And I added a bit more carbon and some blingy levers to complete the effect.

*Note* some of the new Ducati models have a different master cylinder layout to the pre-21 models. So if you order reservoirs make sure that your reservoir nipple is on the side of the master or on the top. New Monster and SFV4 have the nipple on top. Superbike is on the side.

IMG_2473.jpgIMG_2466.jpgIMG_2462.jpgIMG_2463.jpgIMG_2445.jpgIMG_2451.jpgIMG_1815.jpg

Durtb1ker

At this point the bike is starting to be pretty damn attractive. It is borderline telepathic, and still comfortable for longer rides while reminding me to keep it under 90. So I took a few more detail photos of the machine. I was going for a very measured look. Not super over the top custom. More like what the factory would have made if they were allowed to. Stock but better. I think that approach is personified in the detail work that pulls everything together without jumping out individually.

IMG_3097.jpgIMG_3099.jpgIMG_2991.jpgIMG_2990.jpgIMG_2987.jpgIMG_2986.jpgIMG_2981.jpgIMG_2982.jpg

Durtb1ker

So, what do we have on the way? Well here are few things that are "in progress"

So once the SP was released (with a few of the changes I made included), many thought it wasn't a proper SP without forged Marchesinis.

I had waited about 6 months for the first set of M10 Kompe to arrive only to find out that the rear doesn't fit the machine. Someone at Marchesini made a bad assumption I suppose. So the rear is too wide on the brake side. Worse yet, I already had them professionally painted at MotoCorsa assuming that if Marchesini said they would fit...they would fit (never assume).

So they are light and sport a GP red livery that emulates the RVE hypermotard. I couldn't put black wheels on the bike when I bought this color for the garish red wheels. And I didn't want to go red again and have no one notice the change. I wanted them to look factory, but in a way that was unique. So the RVE paint job was a perfect fit. And they are damn handsome.

Chris at MotoCorsa will machine the rear soon so that I can get it on the bike. The front is a little under 2lbs lighter than stock, the rear is close to 5lbs lighter. And the SP doesn't have them. So there.

I have a set of Stylema calipers coming as well, with the SBS pads and the bike down to ~370lbs the oem calipers are fine. But the Stylema are much lighter, and more compact in appearance. And the SP has them sooooo. :)

Also upgraded the USB port under the seat to 3amp so my phone can run full time without losing charge

IMG_3756.jpgIMG_3717.jpgIMG_5134.jpgIMG_2849.jpgIMG_2627.jpgIMG_2623.jpg

Durtb1ker

So, without the stylema and the marchesini I taped the bike up, sucked in my gut, zipped up my suit, and headed to the DRE at COTA. I live a few hours from the only current MOTOGP track in the United States so when given the opportunity I knew I had to take it.

The bike performed very well. I had been off the track for 15 years so going to a very long, fast, technical track for my return was a daunting choice. The good news is that it only took one session to drop the fear that the street puts in your brain, and two sessions to remember half of what I once knew. By the third session I was a fully mediocre track pilot again, passing plenty of StreetFighters and Panigales.

As I mentioned before the bike hit 142mph on the back straight, and with a 20-30 mph deficit to the Panigales my passing options were down to two.

1. Pass on brakes into corner
2. Pass on gas out of corner

Luckily there are some 2 gear walking speed corners and the 937 makes more power than a 955 until about 8k rpm.

Initially, the rear wear was a little off. I dropped 2 psi and cranked up some more rear preload and that sharpened the turn in, and cleaned up the tire wear.

IMG_0102.JPGIMG_0098.jpgIMG_0095.jpgIMG_0111.JPGIMG_0110.JPGIMG_0107.JPGIMG_0106.JPGIMG_4164.jpgIMG_4062.jpgIMG_4065.jpg71098431106__A42E446E-6D72-44DB-B42C-D034F057BA3D.fullsizerender.JPGIMG_2570.jpg

BMW Alpina

FOUNDING Member & Administrator
Staff member
With the weight reduced, the suspension sorted, the ergonomics tweaked, and the power smoother and stronger than ever...what do you do?

Take some glamour shots in the driveway and buy a new pushbike to match the color of your Monster (and help you fit in your leathers).

View attachment 12661View attachment 12662View attachment 12663View attachment 12664View attachment 12665
I never thought I would love the Monster without Steel Trellis Frame, but your Monster 937 are super nicely modified that make me embrace this new Monster Looks :love: